Monday, December 12, 2011

Priorities and Obstacles

There are several things that I can nearly always take to confession.  Things like gossiping, frustration, pride, lust and not putting God first in my life.   Ironically enough, if I did a good enough job at putting God first in my life then I probably wouldn't have to take all of the other sins to the confessional.  Wouldn't it be great if I just put God first all of the time and let Him guide me like I should?  The problem lies in the fact that I have too many other things I think I need to be doing.  Too many obstacles.

I'll give you this, I've never really been a good person at prioritizing things.   If I did so I would be plucking those obstacles right out of the way and would be much more efficient.  I should probably use those lessons I learned at the "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" class that work sent me to.    I would probably be better off financially because I'd do a better job at saving money and not have to rely on credit.  I would be in better shape because I'd be working out and eating better.  And I definitely would be better off spiritually because I'd be praying like I should.

I allow obstacles to be thrown in my way though.   Sometimes it looks like Normandy Beach because there are so many obstacles in my way.  There is barbed wire, landmines and other beach obstacles.   Sure, sometimes they are high priority things that need to be done but too often they are things that just waste time.  I'd give examples but my wife reads my blog sometimes and I don't want her throwing things back into my face.

It's difficult to get rid of obstacles and to get your priorities straight.  Sometimes it can be painful because they are things you really enjoy doing.  Sometimes it's painful because those obstacles are people that you like.   But no obstacle is worth you getting stuck on the beach when the goal is Heaven and being with God.

Here is the secret, you don't have to do it on your own.  God will help you.  Throughout your day, ask God to help you remove any and all obstacles that are getting in your way of getting closer to Him.

Just because I won't share my obstacles doesn't mean you can't.  What are things in the day that keep you from prayer.  What are sins you can't seems to shake that are obstacles in your spiritual life?

No comments:

Post a Comment