Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Spiritual Dryness

I noticed yesterday that I seem to be going through a period of spiritual dryness. This is where spiritually I just feel--meh. I don't feel like doing this. I don't feel like praying. I don't want to read any spiritual books. I don't want to read scripture. I just want to sit around, watch some Deadliest Catch, eat, sleep and go on with my life.

I suppose this happens with pretty much everything in our lives. I think it's human nature to get bored with things and move on to other things that seem more enjoyable and then maybe come back to the first thing. The problem with not focusing on your spirituality is that it's just like not constantly focusing on a diet or a work out program. If you aren't always on your game you will not only not be getting better or improving but you will start losing ground. If you aren't watching what you eat or going to the gym you are bound to lose fitness. You are bound to gain weight or lose physical abilities. It's the same with spirituality. You constantly need to keep focus and keep your eye on God and striving to become closer to Him.

There is an added issue when you lose focus spiritually. When you don't keep your eye on God and you aren't focusing on Him you are liable to miss the mark. When you miss the mark spiritually you are sinning. When you start sinning, you open yourself up to attacks from Satan and you fall further and further away from God. Spiritual warfare is a constant battle and you constantly have to be wearing the amour of God in order to be on the defense of the "wickedness and snares of the devil."

I know what I need to do. It's the same prescription that you have to take after you miss a couple of workouts or eat a couple meals at fast food joints. You have to get back on the horse. You need to sit down in prayer. Spend time with God. Ask him for help and grace to help you out spirituality. Going to confession is another great place to start. It's a great place to get spiritually cleansed. Mass--receiving the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Chris---can't go wrong there can you??

Still, it is difficult for us who are spiritual infants just as getting enjoyment out of going to the gym is difficult for those of us who are not athletic and out of shape. I'll admit it. Prayer has never come easy for me. It's difficult. I wish I was on of these people who can just jump into scripture and enjoy it like a favorite book. That's not me. I pray that some day it will be but right now it's not.

So, until it is, I'll keep plowing along. So if you will excuse me----it's time for morning prayer.

1 comment:

  1. I've been blaming both spiritual dryness and fitness dryness on summer - it's too hot to run outside and my schedule is nothing resembling a schedule which makes a great excuse to not pick up scripture. I too struggle with prayer and I frequently pray that I will be able to read scripture as a favorite book someday soon. (When I pray that prayer oddly enough, I feel a whisper back of 'practice makes perfect'...)

    ReplyDelete