Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Police Vocation

I've been making posts on things that I am thankful to God for. These are things that after I've received communion, I go back to my seat and thank God for. I've covered my family, my wife, my children and my friends. Those postings can be found on my myspace blog at www.myspace.com/jamiemc4525.
The next thing that am thankful is my job. I first remember wanting to be in law enforcement when I attended Boys' State while in high school. I wanted to become a Missouri State Trooper. That did not work out for me and after a short and great stint with the Excelsior Springs, Missouri Police Department, I was hired by the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department. I spent seven years as an officer in patrol serving as a field training officer for four of those years. I was then promoted to sergeant and transferred to Central Patrol Division where I've been for the last four years.
I am not going to say that I was super cop by any means. I would say I was average. And I don't live and breath police work. I have a good balance between work and family. But a cop is what I am. I really cannot imagine doing anything else. It, along with being a husband and a father, is my vocation. I believe this is one of the things that God put me on Earth to be and I feel blessed that He has allowed me to fill this role, to serve people and to be people's protector.
Not to be all high and mighty---there are certainly other great things about being a cop---heck, I get to drive real fast and carry a gun!! (that's what you want to hear isn't it) Now I am a supervisor which puts me in another servant role---one that is more difficult because I have to serve the department and look after it's well being as well as the officers who work for me and protect them and make sure they are being treated right. Again, there are great things about being a supervisor--my favorite being the person in charge on a big scene where it's high pressure and everyone is looking at you to find out what to do.
My requests certainly have changed since I became a supervisor. I now ask God to protect my people as well as ALL police officers, to guide my people so that they catch the criminals and to be in the right place when they are needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment